Thursday, March 5, 2009

An Overdue Update

I just realized I haven't posted for a few weeks.  So what's been up?  Well I was sick for a good part of last week, which was a huge pain and meant I missed some hours for this project, but I'm back on track now.  I finished up some preliminary png files that Nik is using for the game interface.  Actually, we have a few cute screenshots below.  It's going to get better.  I guess right now I'm sort of thinking about dealing with different screen sizes.  That may be a bit of a pain to deal with, but ultimately things will work out.

Also this week I spent some time thinking about how we want to store information about blocks, and the rest of the game.  I actually spent some time making XML and JSON documents that described some simple functionality in the game before deciding that it would be better in YAML.  I'm kind of excited about using YAML because

a.) it has the minimum "structure" crap.  XML has a bunch of brackets and slashes and equals and quotes.  JSON has some braces and commas and gets really busy looking, but YAML is pretty much all whitespace, colons, and some dashes.  It's super neat.  It's super quick.
b.) Ruby on Rails uses it.  All the cool kids are into it.
c.) It parses really simply into Python.  In general, the ways you outline stuff in YAML translate either to a list (using dashes) or a dictionary (uses colons).

Yeah so that's that.  Also, I'm working on a logo.  Non-essential now, but will be cool to plaster over everything.  There is a non-trivial amount of art that needs to be done for this game.  Better hop to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment